So, I have sold my Passat. I have to admit it was a little sad to see someone else driving in the car that I so loved. But, I was relieved and considered myself blessed for selling it quickly.
So I listed the car on KSLcars.com and it was up for 4 days before I sold it. I had 164 hits on the ad and 2 people come and drive it. The guy who bought my car seemed pretty excited about it and knew a lot about VW. Which might make this the perfect car for him if he can fix the stuff without paying a mechanic!
Selling a car is an interesting thing. I was wondering if you should just trust people with your vehicle. I mean do you really let them take off in your car with no collateral? What if they steal it, what if they wreck it? Do you dare take a personal check? How do I answer all their questions...I try not to remember all the things I have replaced on the car and how much money I have spent. How am I supposed to remember when and where it was all done? I didn't even know you were supposed to change some of the stuff unless it was broken. I was even asked what kind of spark plugs were in the car...how in the world was I supposed to know that?
So the first person who drove my car had it forever! He drove it for about 45 minutes and wanted to take it to a mechanic. I said that was fine...took his name and number. He did leave his vehicle in the parking lot...but, didn't leave me with his keys. He said it would take a couple of hours. I said that was fine...as I wasn't going anywhere. Well, 4 1/2 hours later he had not come back. I started to wonder if he drove to Logan. Should I charge him a rental fee for the day? I decided to call him and he said he was just finishing up and would be back her in half an hour. When he got here he wanted me to fix everthing on the car to make it "up to snuff" so he wanted me to drop my price by at least $1500. I told him no, as it is a used car and it isn't in perfect condition and that is why I am lower then everyone else on KSLcars. So he obviously did not buy the car.
The second guy was really nice. He left his car keys as collateral to his landrover...even though someone was sitting in it. Kind of funny. He drove the car and went home to talk it over with his wife. He asked how I would like the payment, I of course said I would take a cashiers check. Well, that evening he sent me an email with a million questions about the car. I could only answer a few of them because I don't know anything about cars. He also said they want to buy the car in the morning and come before work...so they wouldn't have a cashiers check due to the banks being closed. But, he would bring a print out of their checking account balance. He also included a link to his family blog page. Okay, so I thought that was interesting....was it to show me that they are honest people? Or did this brief encounter make us friends? So, I looked at his blog and saw that they had a fun day at boondocks with their kids. But, felt a little odd looking at a strangers blog page.
He came the next morning and bought my car. HOORAY! He did have a print out in his hands...but, I didn't ask to look at it. I noticed that his check had a Blackfoot Idaho address on it. So I asked if he grew up there and he said yes. So, I told him that I was born there and my dad grew up in Blackfoot. Come to find out his parents are good friends with the Ellises, which are really good friends to my family. Now that I knew that information I just prayed that he would like the car and it would last a long time for him and not give him problems.
I seriously, have prayed for that daily. Yesterday I recieved a text message from him....and guess what. He wanted to thank me for selling him my car, with a few repairs it is running great and he can see why I liked it so much. So, I guess I have gotten the answer to my prayer. Even though I find it a little wierd that he sent me a text message.
I am hoping that he doesn't send me a text the first time the car needs something fixed on it and it costs him $600 to repair it. I also would find it strange if I get a christmas card from him next year. Just kidding, I really don't think that would happen. But, then again he gave me his blog page.
Sunday, January 11, 2009
Selling my car
Posted by Kim at 10:51 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
It is great that your car went to a nice persons home. I really don't care if our suburban goes to the dump. Enjoy your new car.
Hooray! I'm so happy that you sold your car and as quickly as you did. Isn't it strange all of the experiences that you have and how vulnerable you feel when you are selling something in the classifieds?
I hope you are loving your new wheels! :)
What a funny post!! I'm glad you sold your car. It's funny how cars become a part of you in a sense, and all the memories you can tell about one particular car! :) Too funny that he gave you his blog address and all.
Sorry i never called you on Sunday. But I was at Church all day. I was there for about 9 hours. So I was exhausted by the time I got home. But the video worked well and lots of the girls liked it. thanks
I'm glad he is liking the car so much.
Gosh! That is a tough situation!! I don't trust very well. I would have insisted that I go with him. Fun day at the auto mechanics. :)
Glad you sold it and I hope he doesn't have any problems. I know you wouldn't wish that on anyone.
Post a Comment