CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Freezer jam - Reading is required

Well, it has been a few weeks since Michelle and I created the memory that she described so wonderfully on the memory post. We made strawberry freezer jam or so we attempted. Let me just say the taste is wonderful and the memory of the creation is great. The term jam, well that has to be used a little loosely when it comes to the final product. Our freezer jam is more the consistency of syrup. Lets just say it is probably wise to read the tips prior to making something new. The tip that we did not read was, do not double the recipe as it will not set correctly. Hmmm...great tip! Michelle shared that tip with me a few days later. Who would have thought that you had to mix batches separately? For those who are wondering toast with strawberry syrup is really good just a little messy and is not recommended for a rush out the door breakfast on the go...unless you like a sticky mess on steering wheel, clothes etc. No, I have not tried this...because I discovered the dripping mess prior to leaving the kitchen. WHEW!

The following week I received some apricots from my neighbor. I was thrilled as I wanted to make apricot jam. I had found my box of pectin the day prior so, I went home from work ready to start. I had all the apricots cut and ready to go when I noticed my box of pectin said sugarless pectin. Well, I had never noticed that there were different kinds of pectin prior to this moment. Reading the directions I discovered that I needed apple juice or white grape juice instead of sugar. I of course did not have either on hand. So, being the versatile canner that I am I decided I wouldn't make freezer jam I would just simply can the jam. I pulled out my canning cook book and was ready to go. Oops, I had not lemon juice. So, I called my neighbor and borrowed her lemon juice...thank goodness for neighbors who answer their door during FHE. Everything was going great until it was time for the jam to set and start to gel....this stage never came for my jam. I had to go to the troubleshooting section to see what the problem was. Apparently, ripe fruit doesn't have as much natural pectin. So, you should use 1/4 fruit that is a bit under ripe and this well help your jam to set. I also found out that you should use exact amounts...so my extra cup of fruit wasn't a great idea. So, my apricot jam became apricot syrup. I bottled it and canned it. It is really quite yummy on pancakes and I am going to try and use it in my pork chop recipe that calls for apricot jam...because I am sure it will still work.

I guess what I have learned from this experience is that reading is required when making freezer jam. You should follow the instructions exactly, if you want jam.

1 comments:

Warren and Kristen Jones said...

I make everything by doubling recipes. I doubled both of my blackberry jam recipes and they set up fine. However, I wasn't using sugarless pectin. That is complete nonsense. I like to pour in the 5 1/2 cups of sugar that is required to make it taste soooo yummy.